FFA Cup Round 2 Coledale Waves v Penrith Rovers

With no Illawarra Premier Leagues on yet, and the preseason tournament final the following day, I figured what else to do but to travel up to Bellambi to watch Illawarra 3rd tier side Coledale Waves host Nepean FA’s Penrith Rovers.

It’s safe to say there was a bit of a buzz around the ground despite expectations being low for the home side, but the crowd of around 100 hoped nonetheless.

A great day at Elizabeth Park

Action started fast with both teams going up and down the ground back and forth. Penrith would find the opening goal in the 5th minute. After a quality save, the Coledale keeper was unfortunately still scrambling around in front of the net as the ball was easily put into the back of the net.

A few minutes later the Coledale defence was tested again. This time there was a goal line heading clearance after the initial effort from a free kick was saved.

The Rovers would double their advantage in the 34th minute, after a superb through ball made its way to the striker, whose effort came off the post before being tapped in.

The game was almost all over a minute later as the green and white missed an open goal after a pass across the face off goal was struck too high and the supporting player was unable to get his foot to the ball.

Despite being 2 goals down, Coledale were right in the contest for the first 20-25 minutes before Penrith really took control of the game. The name of the game of course was long balls, causing headaches for the Waves defence.

Start of the 2nd half

Going into the break down 2-0, Coledale was down but not completely out of the contest. Yes they were outmatched by a better opponent, but there were signs of brilliance from the attack and the ground felt that a goal had to be coming soon.

Unfortunately they were right, just for the wrong team. Around 10 minutes after the break Penrith found another goal after yet another through ball stretching their advantage to 3. By this point the game was out of reach for the Waves, yet they still pressed on in search of a redeeming goal.

Their best chance so far came around half way through the half as the Penrith keeper was forced to make a goal line save. The whole crowd sighed in disappointment as it seemed as though the men in pink would be kept scoreless.

Late in the game the ball found the top right of the cross bar, almost giving Coledale their consolation goal, and would be later denied a handball in the box as Penrith closed out the game 4-0 in an impressive victory.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.