FFA Cup Match Day 1 Review – NSW Teams

Let’s take a look at all the action from the two games featuring our NSW NPL sides.

Bankstown Berries v North Eastern MetroStars

Bankstown, through emphatic fashion were the first team to qualify for the round of 16 of the Westfield FFA Cup, after defeating MetroStars 2-1 at Jensen Park.

Bankstown opened their account against the cup veterans in the 19th minute through Jake Bradshaw. The goal came from a set piece corner, with the MetroStars goalkeeper coming out to catch the ball before having a howler, in which it went straight through his hands, free for Bradshaw to head home for a shock lead.

The Berries would then double their lead straight after the break in the 46th minute, with the club Captain and Coach Perry Moustakas beating a defender at the edge of the box before driving the ball into the back of the net. It would be this goal that would create history.

MetroStars managed a consolation goal in the 94th minute after a scramble in front of the goals, but alas it would not be enough to send the game to extra time.

As the whistle blew at full time, the Berries had overcome huge odds to do the unthinkable, and win the biggest game in their clubs history to seal their passage to the round of 16.

All eyes will be on the NPL 2 side as to who they face in the next stage, and they look to continue their 6 game unbeaten run.


Hills United v Hakoah Sydney City East

If any Hills United fans at the game are still alive, we would love to hear from you.

In what was the game of the round, Hakoah defeated the NPL 2 side Hills United at the end of extra time 6-3. But first, let me take you through the events that transpired through the match.

Hills would open the scoring in the 24th minute through Futsalroo Wade Giovenali.

That lead would be very short lived with Hakoah hitting back not 5 minutes later through Anthony Frangie.

HOWEVER, Hills would make their own reply JUST 2 MINUTES LATER with Glen Kelshaw getting on the end of a through ball.

At half time the teams would enter the sheds with Hills United leading 2-1 over the favoured Hakoah Sydney City East.

In the 54th minute, Hakoah would once again level the scores, this time through Neil Jablonski scoring a tap in after a defensive error.

17 minutes later in the 81st minute, Hills United looked to have all but sealed the game with Bradley Robertson with an absolutely beautiful free kick.

It would be in the final minute of play before injury time that Jablonski would break the hearts of Hills United fans. After a bizarre play in what could have been an easy 1 on 1 with the keeper, Michael Glenfield pulled away from the ball allowing the Hakoah keeper to easily clear it. After some great build up, Jablonski would slot home the goal to send us to extra time.

From here on, it was all one way traffic with Hakoah scoring the next three goals through Sweet, Laboski and Jones, ending Hills United’s dreams of qualifying for the round of 16.

However one teams misery is another’s victory, with the Waratah Cup Champions going through as the 2nd NSW team.

If all goes well, we could see another 3 NSW NPL teams qualify for the round of 16.

All eyes turn to next week now as APIA Leichhardt Tigers travel to face Olympia FC in Tasmania on Tuesday night, before Blacktown City host Central Coast Mariners on the Wednesday.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.